World Outreach: Missionary Member Care
WORLD OUTREACH MEMBER CARE
Some troubling statistics about missionary attrition:
- An estimated 12,000 missionaries leave the field each year—most (71%) are leaving for preventable reasons.
- It costs approximately $350,000 to successfully launch a missionary family of four.
- Almost half of all missionaries (47%) leave the field within the first five years.
All this in a world that is becoming increasingly more hostile to those making disciples of all the nations.
Therefore, the EPC has established the Member Care department to provide pastoral care for missionaries sent out through World Outreach. Rev. Dr. Jim and Barbie Murphy are the Member Care Coordinators.
We seek to help our workers thrive, not just survive, as we
- Pray for their needs, as expressed in emails, prayer letters, and the Missionary Prayer Network. “Finally, brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you,” 2 Thessalonians 3:1. Feel free to communicate needs of WO workers to us that you would like us to pray for.
- Encourage them through visits on the field. We hope to see each WO sometime during their first term, or as needs may dictate. When we travel to see someone for a particular reason, we try to see others in the same general “neighborhood” just to encourage them. Each worker is important to World Outreach, and we want to communicate that by our going to see them. We offer mini “spiritual retreats” to workers when we are with them, to refresh them in the Lord. Romans 1:11-12 is our theme verse: “I long to see you so that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to make you strong-- that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.” Please let us know of workers who may need an encouragement-visit.
- Host workers and their families in our home in Colorado. We have a very comfortable “missionary apartment” prepared especially to give these servants a place of respite. “It was for the sake of the Name that they went out… We ought therefore to show hospitality to such men so that we may work together for the truth,” 3 John 1:7-8. Contact us to reserve a time for yourself or another worker to get some respite and renewal.
- Train church missions committees to care for those they send out and support. Let us know if you would like some training for your missions leaders.
Read more about an opportunity to help care for those who are taking the gospel into every corner of the world.