Hurricane Sandy Recovery UpdateSubscribe
As post-Hurricane Sandy clean-up and recovery work in New York City continues, Resurrection-Brooklyn has gained the reputation as being one of the few organizations in the city that can “get things done,” according to Brian Steadman (photo). Brian is directing the recovery effort and serving the pastoral staff of the church. “The needs in Brooklyn, and all of NYC, are still great. There are hundreds of homes still in need of repair. Many families are living in unsafe conditions due to mold because their temporary shelter has run out,” he said. He added, “Predictions that it could take as many as three years if not longer for New Yorkers to ‘recover’ from Sandy are looking accurate as we approach the one year anniversary.”
While the need is still great, the number of volunteer teams coming to help out has declined significantly since this summer. Brian hopes that teams who have come from out of state to serve in the past year will consider sending a team again this fall or begin making plans for next spring and summer. Contact Brian Steadman to schedule a volunteer team at or 718-369-7972.
Brian offers the following prayer requests:
• Give thanks and praise for the great work our volunteers have completed to date.
• Pray for the Lord to provide us with consistent volunteer labor.
• Pray for our Brooklyn neighbors still struggling to return home.
• Pray for the millions of dollars that have been allocated to helping NYers recover from Sandy and still have not been spent, to be allocated in just and responsible ways.
• Pray for our grant writing efforts as we pursue financial resources still out there for recovery organizations.
• Pray our next mayor keeps the needs of NYers recovering from Sandy a top priority for this city.
He concludes, “As always, thank you for all the ways the EPC has generously supported our church and our neighbors here in Brooklyn. We could not have done this without you!”
Donations to this important and needed continued work may be made online or by check:
- Click here to make a secure online donation to the Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.
- Or, mail a donation to Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 17197 N. Laurel Park Drive, Suite 567, Livonia, MI 48152 --- memo your check Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.