EPC College Ministries seeks to equip and mobilize churches through leadership development, including:
- Strategic planning to reach campuses through existing churches, church plants, and campus ministers.
- Partnering with Coalition for Christian Outreach (CCO), for church partnerships, consultation services, and other resources.
- Models of ministry to assist every EPC church in reaching students and campuses.
- Training and equipping opportunities for leaders and churches.
A congregation does not have to launch a major program with a significant staff time commitment to have an impact on college students. By taking a single step, your congregation will begin a journey that could have a significant impact on the spiritual life of a student and his or her campus. College Ministries has developed several models of College Ministry for your consideration. Let us know what the Lord has led you to do by joining the College Ministries Facebook Group.
MODELS OF COLLEGE MINISTRY
Local churches minister to college students in many different ways. The following suggestions are offered to EPC congregations to help them begin or expand their ministry to college students. Select the scenario below that best describes your congregation (or you can download the entire document as a printer-friendly pdf).
- Our congregation is not located near a college or university.
- Our church has college students from a local college or university.
- Our church is considering bringing on a staff person for college ministries.
- Our church would like to partner with a campus ministry.
- We want to minister to our college students over the summer.
COALITION FOR CHRISTIAN OUTREACH
In 2007, the EPC chose the Coalition for Christian Outreach (CCO) as our preferred campus ministry with which to partner, placing college workers in EPC churches that are near a college or university. Not only are the CCO and the EPC theologically and missionally aligned, but the CCO specializes in partnering with local congregations and involving them in ministry to students.
From its beginnings in 1971, the CCO has always worked in partnerships with local congregations. The CCO believes that campus ministry is not a replacement for church involvement, but a supplement to it. CCO staff members serve as an arm of the local church on campus, reaching out to students who otherwise might not come to church on their own. All CCO staff members encourage students to attend church and invite them to get involved in local congregations.
Visit the CCO’s website to find out more about:
The CCO’s vision and history
The CCO’s view of partnership
How to partner with the CCO
Church congregations with CCO ministries
Colleges and universities with CCO ministries
CURRENT CCO/EPC PARTNERSHIPS
Gateway Community EPC
Slippery Rock, Pa.
Reaching students at Slippery Rock University
Gateway EPC Church
Reaching students at Bluffton University, Owens Community College, and University of Findlay
Memorial Park Church
Allison Park, Pa.
Reaching students at La Roche College
New City Church
Reaching students at Point Park University
Bellefield Presbyterian Church
Reaching students at Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh
Graystone Presbyterian Church
Reaching students at Indiana University of Pennsylvania
For more information about bringing the CCO to your EPC church or community, contact Elliott Simko.